British food has a bad reputation, but we always associate US food as deep fried. So for many a grilled cheese sandwich is unthinkable – so we stick to the safe cheese on toast which is close as you’ll get to a grilled cheese sandwich.
But our take on this sandwich is as good as a US version. This British grilled cheese recipe is filled with mature Cheddar to enhance the flavour coming through in a simple buttered white bread to help cook evenly in the pan.
Prep Time: 4 Minutes
Cooking Time: 8 Minutes
Calories: 643 Fat: 41.9g Salt: 2.5g Carbs: 37.1g Protein: 30.8g Fibre: 2.0g Energy: 2675kJ
- 2 slice Hovis medium white bread
- 90g mature Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 2 tbsp. soft spreadable butter
- Prepare by slicing 90g of mature Cheddar cheese, or enough to cover one side of bread slice
- Well bringing your grill pan up to a medium heat butter one side of your bread slice
- Once your grill is heated up, place the buttered side bread face down in pan – you’ll now need to quickly assemble
- On the bread slice cooking away in the pan quickly layer over your Cheddar cheese and then cover with the second bread slice
- You should now butter the top bread slice before you’re due to flip it over and cook the other side
- After 4 minutes of cooking, the bottom bread slice should be golden and ready to be flipped over
- You’ll need a spatula to assist in turning over the grilled cheese, being careful not to spill the filling
- Finally cook for another 4 minutes or so until the bread slice is golden and the cheese is melted