Take the traditional meatball marinara sub and turn it into a sandwich with changes to the overall ingredients to accommodate the sandwich.
The meatball marinara sandwich is a popular choice, consisting of pork meatballs in a traditional spicy tomato Italian marinara sauce and top with mature Cheddar cheese. Our own meatball marinara sandwich recipe is an easy one providing ingredients widely available. This meatball marinara is filled with Italian herbs, plum tomatoes in their own juices and no-non-sense meatballs perfect for sandwiches, pasta and Italian dishes.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 4x thick white bread slices
- 6x large pork meatballs
- 400g Marinara sauce
- 60g Mature Cheddar cheese grated
- Pre-cook your meatballs under the grill or in the oven by following the cooking instructions on the packaging. When cooked leave the meatballs to rest on the side on a plate with a piece of kitchen paper to catch the excess grease.
- Pour the marinara sauce into a sauce pan and slowly bring it to a simmer.
- Cut each of the 6 beef meatballs in half and dump them all in to your marinara sauce and continue to simmer for a full 15 minutes or when sauce is piping hot.
- Take your sauce pan off the heat and leave to one side until the sauce has cooled off.
- Assemble your sandwich with the bottom piece of thick cut white bread, take 6 meatball halves and position them on your piece of bread insuring your capture enough marinara sauce in the process. But not to much or your bread will go soggy.
- Place your half of your grated Mature Cheddar cheese directly on top of the meatballs covering all corners and eat your meatball marinara sandwich right away.
Tips & Advice
If you like, prepare the marinara sauce hot straight from the sauce pan and slightly melt the cheese under the grill.
Instead of a marinara sandwich, add all the ingredients into a sub roll with the fillings served hot and cheese melted.